Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hello out there!

This is my first blog. I'm not sure why I'm starting it, except that I've really found comfort and hope by reading other people's blogs who are in a similar situation.

So a little bit of background about me. I'm at that dreaded reproductive age of 40, with a looming birthday in July. After numerous tests (all the usual, Chlomid challenge, HSG, lots and lots of blood, etc.) I discovered that I have one blocked tube, DOR (diminished ovarian reserve), and a high Day 3 Estrogen level (which masks a would-be high day 3 FSH, so is really just as bad).

My husband is 38, and his little guys are good by all measures - count, motility, morphology (borderline morphology, but so far no ICSI needed). So really, it's just me and my old eggs holding things up!

This is a second marriage for both of us, no prior children, and we were both extremely excited about the days and years ahead of us when we eloped in March of 2007. And this wasn't any ordinary eloping.... we were married in Hawaii - on the beach at sunset, with a harpist, ring of flowers, photographer, video, red velvet cake, champagne, wedding coordinator, you name it. I even sent my husband out to play golf while the hair and makeup girl came to our room (he says he is the luckiest groom alive - getting to play golf on his wedding day without getting in trouble!). It was just the two of us, and we each wrote our own vows. Even the minister had a tear in his eye. And this was followed by the most incredible honeymoon ever: 2 weeks in Hawaii and a week in Bora Bora. And then a wedding reception 3 months later at a winery for our friends and family. We were loving life.

Who knew that with the money we spent on our honeymoon and reception, we could have paid for a lot of IVF cycles...

No comments:

Post a Comment