Monday, May 25, 2009

A little less worried

Well, being who I am, I couldn't just wait around all weekend for an answer, so after my nurse didn't answer my email in the next hour or so, I left a message for the clinic on the non-emergency line. And a nurse called me back at 7:30am on Saturday morning - now that's good service!

She said that in a natural pregnancy, it's very normal for progesterone to fluctuate between 10 and in the 20's, and that at 15.6, I wasn't even close to where they'd be worried. She said she understand the drop makes me uncomfortable, but I shouldn't take progesterone supplements, and with the way everything else was developing, she really didn't think I needed to worry.

And then my regular nurse emailed me back later on Sat and said basically the same thing, and that my OB probably won't even be monitoring my progesterone. It's funny, another one of my friends who got pregnant two weeks before me with an IUI at a different clinic said her clinic doesn't even check bloodwork once they see the fetal pole on the ultrasound. So she had no idea what her progesterone or HCG level were, and they had never even checked her TSH level (which is the one I needed to go on Synthroid because of). And she's had 2 prior miscarriages. It's very strange - the different protocols at different places.

I wonder if having all the information I have is a good thing, or if it just gives me more ways to panic about things that are fine. I'm always a proponent of more information, but maybe there could be something to the blissfully unaware way...

Next stop - OB on Tues morning!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you...I like having information. I look at it this way. They have lots of patients with different issues, hormone levels, problems, treatments, etc. People make mistakes or get confused or sometimes they just can't consider every possibility for every patient. I'm just saying you only have to worry about you. So ask the questions, stimulate their thoughts, probe the possibilities. It can't hurt. At best you'll catch something important. At worst they'll just think you're the "annoying" patient who questions everything. And when I was a practicing nurse, I appreciated people who asked intelligent questions and wanted to take responsibility for their own care and well being.

    Good luck on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete