Thursday, December 24, 2009

It's a Girl!

We have a little baby girl!!!!

Aysia Jordana
(pronounced like Asia, the continent)

She is so precious and so cute. We are in such awe. She has a FULL head of hair, about 1.5 inches of black hair on her entire head (no wonder my indigestion was terrible!), slate blue eyes and perfect skin. She weighed 7lb 15 oz and measures 20.5. So amazing.

The C-section was a little scary at first - getting wheeled in and then having the spinal block done, with all of these people surrounding me, attaching things, prodding, etc. But then DH came in, and I started to feel numb, and I relaxed a bit. Couldn't feel a thing except a little tugging, and couldn't see anything as we were behind a curtain. But I'll never forget when Aysia let out her first little cry then stopped. DH and I were holding our breath.... then she let loose! What a great sound!

They quickly checked her out (9 out of 9 apgar, my little over-acheiver!) and then DH got to hold her her right next to me while they started sewing me up. She was still covered with all the white stuff (vernix?). He went with her to the nursery to get warmed up, bathed, etc. While they brought me to recovery to warm me off and be sure the block wore off.

Less than 2 hours later, the 3 of us were back together in the postpartum room and the 6 grandparents, who had only gotten to see her through the nursery wondow, piled in and got to meet their granddaughter. I felt so bad for my mom - she got a cold from my nephew earlier this week, so she had to keep her distance and wear a mask. Now she has pink eye, so she hasn't been able to come visit us here.

I was able to start nursing right away, and she took to it really well. Even the lactation consultant said she was latching on perfectly. I'm so glad that's working out. I really like being able to breastfeed.

Oh, and shortly after the surgery, the doctor told me that he took a look at the fibroid, and that it's really big and protruding into my uterus. He thinks it's very likely it would have caused a problem during labor resulting in a c-section anyway. So now I'm extra glad I went this route. Sadly, though, he thinks it may need to be removed if I want to get pregnant again. We'll have to see if it shrinks back down to the smaller size it was before.

So anyway, I'm feeling great, Aysia's doing really well, and DH is making an incredible dad, already changing diapers, burping her, singing to her. It's so endearing...

More to post later, going to sleep now!!

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have no doubt that Aysia is absolutely gorgeous! I am so glad to hear that everything went well and everyone is healthy and thriving! You have been on my mind and in my thoughts and prayers. (I was getting kind of stalkerish checking your blog for updates--I have NO patience)
    Congrats on your little girl--again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from OMLO's blog...

    Much congrats to you and your DH!!!

    What a wonderful end of the year present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your precious baby daughter! I too have been stalking your blog, waiting and hoping to hear. You sound wonderful and I'm so glad to hear everything went well. And she's already a natural breastfeeder! Good baby girl! Soon your mom will be better and will get her chance to get her hands on that sweet baby and cover her with kisses. Merry Christmas to your new family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you! I am sure Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day have been amazing (and exhausting) for you and DH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am, obviously, way way way behind in reading blogs!!! I knew you had the baby, but, didn't get a chance to officially congratulate you!!!! What an absolutely beautiful name!!!

    ReplyDelete