Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Full Term!

Big milestone today - 37 weeks... full term. This means they are fine if I give birth at any time!

I also happened to have an OB appointment today. Met a new doc in the practice who was OK, but I didn't like him as much as the others I've met. He did give me clearance to get back on the treadmill and start exercising again, so I'm excited about that. I've missed it! So I will start tomorrow.

But while I'd love to give birth a little early, I am not quite ready yet! The playroom, which will also double as the downstairs nursery, is completely torn apart. It looks unrecognizable compared to the pictures I posted a while back. Why? Well, DH is putting up the track lighting and, um, well, that should have been done before painting the walls, furnishing and decorating the room! He has to cut throught the sheetrock to run the electric, move the furniture out of the way to make room for the ladders, and pull out all the decorations so they don't get dusty and stepped on.

Maybe my impatience to decorate and attend to all the details was just a little premature!

Anyway, I'm hoping all gets done this weekend and I can re-decorate and get everything back in its place before our little one arrives. Are you laughing at me yet? For two reasons - first, do I think everything will continue to be "in its place" when we have a real live baby/toddler/child in the house?? And second, am I delusional thinking I have any control whatsoever about when our little one decides to arrive, and how will I handle the complete lack of control about to take over my life???

I see the complete absurdity of my thinking, but hey, that's me! I will have a lot of adjusting to do, I'm sure. It should be interesting!


Speaking of interesting... I actually lost a half a pound this week. The doc says it's normal to lose a few pounds in the last month. I like the sound of that, since the pounds have seemed to pile on over the last few weeks or so. I also expeced him to check for effacement and dilation, but he said they don't do that, unless there's a specific reason. He said that it really doesn't give you any indication of how soon you will go into labor, it's just something women like to talk about. Well, yeah!!! My girlfriend who's 1.5 weeks ahead of me was 100% effaced and 2cm dilated on Monday. I wanted to see where I was, compare notes, speculate about who will go first!! Oh well, I guess I'll stay in the dark. Grudgingly. He's no fun.

On the bright side, blood pressure is good, Strep B culture was negative, last TSH was good, uterus measurements were good, and even the heartbeat, at 135, which I thought was low - he said was good. He said the heartbeat starts to decline towards the end, and continues to decline once the baby is born.

So he sent me off with instructions to call if:
  1. Water breaks
  2. Baby stops moving
  3. Contractions are 5 mins apart and painful
  4. Bleeding (more than just the mucus plus or light spotting)

And continue to come in every week for the regular appointment.

Let the waiting begin!

2 comments:

  1. Luckily, you won't really need much of a playroom for a while. But I totally know that feeling of "everything must be done" - it's impossible to feel ready in most other ways, so at least you want some things actually finished!

    Not much longer now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're in the final stages of nesting...you're entitled to want everything to look perfect! It's funny how we want everything to be position "just so" but as you point out, eventually it's going to be ALL OVER THE PLACE! Well, congrats on reaching full term and all the good labs. Now all you need to do is wait for baby to make his/her move!

    ReplyDelete